Have you ever given your unwanted books to a Goodwill? Maybe a Humane Society thrift store? A library? A resale shop? It’s interesting to peruse these. Occasionally, there’s a good one that I’ll buy. But here’s what I really want to know: If these are the books that we’re giving away, what books are we keeping? What are the books we can’t part with — the favorite ones we cherish? My husband and I have some of those books. The ones we read a second or third time. The ones we lend out (and buy another one when it never returns home to us). I was at the library a while back and noticed a book give away taking place that day. I strolled down the isles and to my surprise, I found a book of mine. Not ‘mine’ in the sense of one that I had owned and given away. ‘Mine’ in the sense that I was an ‘author’ of sorts. My official title was ‘Nutrition Editor’ of this nutrition reference book. I had this brief moment of “Wow, right here in the library, a book of my handiwork with my name in it”. Then, I remembered it was a ‘give away’ item…oh, well. I left it there. Hoping someone would take the lonely thing home. Maybe keep it for a while. I realize that our reading preferences are as varied as the foods we like. However, some things are stand outs for us. Maybe we find that a few others in our social circle of friends or acquaintances like it, too. It might not be a Best Seller on the New York Times list but it’s a ‘best seller’ for us. It’s a book that you just plain like.
These are a few of my fiction and non-fiction favorites.
Christian Fiction and other Fiction
- Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
- Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers
- A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
- From Out of the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz
Non-Fiction Reference Books
- Major Bible Themes by Lewis Chafer & John Walvoord
- Food Lover’s Companion by Sharon and Ron Herbst
- The Way to Cook by Julia Child
- The Merck Manual of Medical Information
- Health Counts: A Fat and Calorie Guide (In case you were wondering, this is the book I mentioned earlier where I’m named as the Nutrition Editor. As far as I know, it’s now out of print. Don’t give your copy away though, it might be a collectors item some day. I can dream, can’t I?)
Feel free to share one of your favorites.